Monday, November 12, 2018

Scan time

Tomorrow, scan of my chest and pelvis. The chest to see if I'll be dead within a year or not, the pelvis to see whether the bone cancer has come back to the amputation site. If it does, more hacking away of my body would be needed. Imagine a disappearing man, bit by bit. 
Six days later, an MRI of my prostate to see if that cancer has gotten big and aggressive enough to warrant treatment. To date, the answer to that is yes, but a few treatments of targeted radiation should be enough to kill it. But the first cancer, if there, would make treating the second cancer a waste of time.
valley forge national park
Valley Forge National Park.
They read scans fast these days. (Who reads them is unknown. I've heard some are sent overseas to cut costs.) I'm planning to join some friends for dinner the day after the scans. The question is, should I get the results before the dinner, in which case I'll either be exuberant or crushed, or put that off until the next day, in which case I'll be anxious?
Meanwhile, it's perfect fall weather here, a suburb of Philadelphia. I went crutching in the park this afternoon. Heart, lungs, muscles, all pumping away.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck. I will be thinking of you today, which happens to be my birthday. Hoping for an update soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I wish you a happy birthday.

      Delete
  2. Thinking good thoughts on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The anxiety is horrible but bearable.

      Delete