Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Nothing's working

I don't believe in the supernatural, but I've had a run of things around me not functioning right lately in strange ways.
    logitech wireless keyboard
  • I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard designed for Macs three years ago and it worked great. I never had to put it in the sun to recharge it and it never missed a beat. Then about ten days ago, the letter "e" stopped working. At all. It is, as you may know, the most commonly used letter in most languages, including English. 
  • With the Logitech out, I began using my wireless Mac keyboard. I'd stopped using it in favor of the Logitech because it had an annoying habit of having a low battery warning pop up even when the batteries were fully charged. A few days ago, after hours of searching, I found that the solution is to turn off notifications. I'm happy with it now but guess what? The "e" is a little unresponsive and I have to push it with a little more oomph sometimes. (I have, by the way, a very light touch with keyboards. People have commented on it. So I don't think you can blame the damage on my pounding of it.)
  • Sony a6300I bought a pretty fancy camera in September, a Sony A6300. I wanted something light because being on crutches gives me balance issues and my old Canon Rebel is pretty heavy, especially with the lens I have on it. I cannot take self portraits using the timer with the Sony. The entire image is blurred. Get this, though: I go to the camera shop and do exactly what I was doing at home and they're all sharp as can be. The camera guy reset everything and put it in Airplane Mode at my suggestion; I thought perhaps my household wi-fi was doing something. I took it home and tried it. First picture, great. All after it, blurred. No other camera I have under identical conditions does this.
    woman using fax machine
  • Today while getting my scans that will tell me tomorrow if I'll be dead soon or not, the MRI took twice as long as I was told it would. It took half an hour for them to burn the image to a CD, which my doctor wants. (In case you don't know this, America medical people are far behind the rest of us in interesting ways. You can download a two-hour movie in high resolution over the net but you have to mail them CDs to get double-digit megabyte images to them. Want to see a fax machine at work? Go toany hospital or doctor's office.)
  • woman pumping gasAt 2:15 a.m. today my bedside clock's screen began flashing. The flashing and a strange noise from outside woke me up. All the settings on the clock were erased, including the radio presets. That's never happened before with even long power outages, and the clock is the kind that resets itself instantly when power's been restored to it. Not this time. I had to spend several minutes figuring everything out and doing it manually. 
  • I went to fill the car up and tried entering my phone number to get a little off the gas price as a reward for shopping at a local supermarket. Every time I entered a number, there was a long beep and nothing showed up on the screen. Cancel, try again. Same. Cancel, try again. Same. Screw it. 
All this is giving me a bad feeling about getting my test results tomorrow, even though I know there's no connection.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... I'm hoping that if there is a connection, it indicates something GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but as Seinfeld would've said, "Not bloody likely!"

      Delete
  2. Lol.
    Well now you've got me worried. Hoping for a (positive) update soon.

    ReplyDelete