Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Last night's dream

Last night I dreamed (American English for dreamt) that I fell into caring for an older woman, though she was barely older than I am. I'm sixty. She lived alone with no help in a huge house. Not huge, enormous—a house the size you'd only find in a dream. It was like Buckingham Palace, maybe bigger. 

Anyway, she wasn't ill or infirm and hadn't been out to hire anyone. I was, for some reason, just there anyway and I started to do things for her. The practical things were easy and took no time. I made her breakfast. She didn't care what I made. I said I was making her a "farm breakfast, just like my father used to make for me, even though he grew up in West Philadelphia." The breakfast, like my father's, was just eggs, toast, and bacon with juice and coffee.
More than the day-to-day stuff, I helped her socially, kindling an interest in books, movies, and getting outside and doing things and seeing people, which she had never really done.
When I woke up I realized that the woman, who was indistinct even for someone in a dream, was a stand-in for me.
Unrelated: I voted today, perhaps for the last time (see earlier entries). The area I live in is suburban and has just around a thousand registered voters yet a man I spoke to at the poll said more had voted by noon than had by noon in 2016. (I voted at 1:15 and was the four hundredth to do so.) He figured that was because people had more of an interest in local races. He was wrong, of course, but I politely said zip.

2 comments:

  1. I chuckled at the last sentence. (I did not chuckle at "perhaps for the last time".)
    Another enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, the most boring thing anyone can tell you about is a dream they had, so putting up with mine was kind of you.

      Delete