Monday, May 21, 2012

Children's Letters to the Loser #23

Dear Complete and Total Loser,
I am 14 and a Christian. My parents won't let me go to and of the year school dance because they say it will lead to bad things. I understand and respect their feelings, but it does seem old fashioned to me and other kids my age from my church are allowed to go. What can I tell them?
Luke

Dear Luke,
Your parents should allow you to go. While there is nearly always a sexual component to dancing, it can be a wholesome way to express yourself physically. Physical expression is something we all do all the time and is called, simply, "body language." Unfortunately, many have given dance a bad name by overdoing it. There are six-year-olds who "grind" on dance floors in imitation of what they've seen on television and the internet. I assume that the party will be supervised by adults. You should discuss your reasons for wanting to attend the dance with your parents. If you can convince them that you're not just out there to shake your stuff, they may acquiesce. But be warned; adults often see sexual motives in youths where none exist. 
Party on,
The Complete and Total Loser
robert garro
Young people dance to rock music in the 60s. Photo by Robert Garro.

2 comments:

  1. This photo appeared in LIFE magazine in the early 1970s as part of a photography contest. It appeared in a section entitled "Photos to Make You Think Twice." It caused one letter to be printed complaining about the topless nudity. One only thinks about what happened to the young woman and/or the couple and how this is how they are remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they'd be happy about it, having their youth and beauty captured like that. They danced in the sun like ancient Greeks or Egyptians. If anyone sees photos of me at that age a thousand years from now they'd be unimpressed by my dull clothes covering uninteresting body. Not so with these two!

      Delete