Thursday, April 26, 2012

Children's Letters to The Loser #2

Dear Complete and Total Loser,
I am a twelve-year-old boy. Everybody tells me that I act too young and that I should grow up and act older. I try to sometimes but I don't really know how or even what they mean. Please tell me what to do.
Sincerely,
Farhan

Dear Farhan,
You know what I just did? I was eating some chips and walking at the same time, so I synchronized my footsteps to chewing the crunchy chips and pretended that I was trying to walk silently in the forest but failing miserably. It made me laugh. And, Farhan, I am almost 54 years old! My point is that you shouldn't always listen to others. Sometimes it's good to keep some of the child in you long after it has gone away in others. Sometimes, but not always. What is it that you're doing that makes people say this? If it's things like crying because you don't get your way or not listening to others, maybe you should try to change that and be more like your peers. But if it's because you like to play in certain ways or read books, watch shows or draw things others don't, don't let others determine what's best for you. Do, however, learn to keep some things you like that are deemed childish semi private. Much of life is about compromise, and even I wouldn't tell other adults about what I do when I eat chips. 
Your friend,
The Complete and Total Loser

No comments:

Post a Comment