Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Children's Letters to The Loser #1

Dear Complete and Total Loser,
My name is Amy. I am eight. I have a cat named Tiger who is very bad sometimes. No matter what I do, he still does bad things. What should I do with my bad cat?
Sincerely,
Amy

Dear Amy,
Do nothing. Your cat is an animal and when we anthropomorphize we often do the wrong thing. What you see as "bad," Tiger sees as natural behavior. When you play outside you probably kill many insects by stepping on them without even realizing it. In your view, you're just doing normal things, but in the view of other insects you are a cold-hearted murderer. If you punish Tiger you will end up feeling guilt years from now, guilt that will be as searing well into your adult years as if what caused it happened only days ago. And if Tiger changes at all and stops doing some bad things, it will be due to fear and anxiety. You will be better off putting the objects of Tiger's actions out of harm's way.
Your friend,
The Complete and Total Loser
cat

No comments:

Post a Comment