Tuesday, August 11, 2020

The others

 I sit at my kitchen table and see on the street I live on people walking buy, running by, walking dogs, bicycling. They can't see me, with my hands and wrists still bruised and scabbed from the lines needed for the operation I had eight days ago. The people

I see are aliens to me. They have two legs to my one and are not in pain, as I am, bad enough that I cry out loud when rising to a standing position or lowering to a sitting or lying one. 

My country, the U.S.A., is mired in sharply demarcated conflict at the moment, but there is no separation more clear than that of the sick and the healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your surgery and the pain it's causing you! Of all the prejudices we have, the one against disability and illness make the least sense (as if any of them make sense) because that person struggling to walk could be any one of us, tomorrow. We just like to live under the illusion that it won't be. I hope the pain subsides for you!!

    ReplyDelete