Sunday, September 13, 2020

My Pain Baby

 I just looked at photos I took of myself to send to a doctors office a week after my August 3 operation, when I was concerned about my incision, thinking I'd use one to accompany this. I demurred from using most; they are repulsive. I'm down to just one thing coming out of my body; an aquarium-like tube that goes deep into my stump, exits via a hole on my pant line (thanks for that, doc!) and then goes for twenty-eight inches to a silicon bulb that sucks bad blood from inside the operation site. I safety pin the bulb to my T-shirt and drain it three times a day and measure the foul-smelling fluid. When the amount drops to a specific level, I can have it removed. To someone who's never had such a thing, it wouldn't appear to be a big deal, but from past experience, I can tell you that when it's removed I feel like a dog let off a leash on a big field filled with wonderful things to sniff and chase.

The pain continues with only a fifteen percent or so reduction five weeks after the operation. My stump remains swollen, as hard as a melon, warm to touch, and part of the lengthy incision has an open wound I clean and dress every morning that seems to look worse each day. 

I crutch the short distances—bed to kitchen or bathroom, back—through the house where I live alone slowly and with much care. This is also true the two times a day I go outside to get the mail and fling beads of food into the koi pond in the backyard. The caution I exercise is due to the tenderness and ever present burning pain of the stump. I've started calling it my pain baby because I behave toward it as I would to a newborn I'm carrying over a treacherous surface. I never had children of my own, of course (see blog title), but a few friends have entrusted me to hold and carry theirs in my two-legged days, and when I did I did so in a similar way.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to get this update, but so sorry for what you're going through and that things are so difficult and painful still. Continued good thoughts and caring sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words. Months from now I'll look at these posts and wonder what I was complaining about so much. Pain is a funny thing. You can remember it enough to try to avoid it, but the memory of it doesn't make you feel it again, which is probably for the best.

      Delete
  2. I had drainage tubes, and couldn't wait for it to get below that line!! And it was even worse the second time, once I actually knew how deep they go!! Hope they're out by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, mine seemed to have been in a good eight or nine inches. It was removed last week. Happy day!

      Delete