Friday, October 19, 2018

The Trump guy

library magazine rack
A library magazine rack.
Met an avid Trump supporter last week. The kind you see at the rallies, not the kind you see on panel discussions. In other words, a guy about as smart as I am. Our conversation was friendly and respectful, but I was surprised by how little he knew about my side compared to how much I knew about his. And while I know I'm using a wide brush in saying this, I find that true of many that I see. I wonder why that is.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Bill, you've written a few posts I missed. I need to catch up.

    I think you are indeed painting with a very broad brush, but I can't attest to the types of people you meet. I think many of the conservatives I know are very knowledgeable about both sides of things. I know I am - I'd be willing to bet I know more about your side than you do...but that's a useless conversation we'll never have.
    I like Reagan's quote :
    "The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." ;)

    Glad to see you writing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right in saying that there are many conservatives who are more well versed in numerous topics than I am. But let's not confuse conservatives with Trump supporters. And Reagan? His brand of conservatism would put him several degrees left of center these days.

      Delete