Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Outside, early fall, 2:30 p.m., 2018

two frogs
Two frogs sit in and on the edge of a koi pond in suburban Philadelphia.
Me in the backyard, earlier today. Sitting with a magazine on the back terrace, the artificial fish pond ten feet in front of me. I've known I've had two frogs for a week now, but this is the first time I can see them both. It's warm for this time of year. I'm wearing a short-sleeved shirt. The sun is in and out of the clouds, hitting my right shoulder, the one I broke on this terrace in May, from behind. The shoulder still hurts, but the warmth feels good. The pump in the pond is going, the little waterfall it powers making the sound of a small brook. One frog is on a floating blue hyacinth, the other on one of the stones that make a little wall around the pond. They are facing each other and remain motionless. 
A dragonfly comes. A big one; about two-and-a-half inches long. It swoops back and forth over the pond and surrounding vegetation, catching and eating small flying insects as it goes. Its flight is perfect; it's hard to believe that somewhere in its tiny bug brain there aren't two neurons feeling some sort of pride in its abilities. I track it as it darts around the pond. 
Under the hyacinths, which are starting to die, the five fish living in the pond swim near the bottom, looking for food, quarreling with one another. 
This scene, to the creatures involved, is much like one from three hundred million years ago. The frogs and fish would have had some minor differences and the dragonfly might have had a two-foot wingspan (there isn't enough oxygen in the air now to support such large insects), but other than that, they did the same thing. Sat in the sun, waiting for prey, nibbling at algae, flying after insects. The sky was as blue, the sun as warm, the days, the years, about as long. 
I think about this when I look up from my magazine. For minutes at a time, I forget about the cancer that took my right leg seven months ago and will probably kill me. I forget about the crutches at my side, the upcoming treatments for another kind of cancer (prostate) and the general aches and decay that come with being sixty. I think instead about this day on this steady, spinning ball of water and dirt that we're damaging but that will recover a few million years after we're gone. 
The sun, our first god, has about five billion years left in it. Time enough for Earth to heal, for new life forms to evolve, for amphibians, fish and insects to eat and breed.

2 comments:

  1. This is really lovely and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words. A cold front has come through since I wrote that and the frogs are lying low. Soon, they'll dig into the mud, coat themselves with mucous, and wait out the cold, emerging when things thaw out and there's food for them. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do that?

      Delete