Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Gambling

Fortunately, the gambling bug never bit me. 
I often play solitaire. With real cards on a real kitchen table. I have no idea why I pay it. It's a dumb game. All that winning does is reorganize a deck of cards into the order they were in when the deck was new. But I find reminders of a few of life's lessons when I play:
  • Pay attention so you don't miss lost opportunities
  • Think ahead
  • You can win if you cheat, but cheating makes the entire endeavor pointless
  • And this: You can do everything right and still lose
The deck has been ordered by random chance or, if you wish to believe so, luck or a higher power, and that order will be the primary factor in whether you win or lose.
solitaire on table
Another resounding loss.

2 comments:

  1. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work bandarq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pathetic person that I am, I welcome your kind words even though they have been artificially generated by a bot that scanned for the word "gambling" and your name is just a link to a gambling website.

      Delete