Sunday, January 21, 2018

Freak show

What do you think when you see pictures of yourself? I'm horrified by my own. The internal image of me I carry around conflicts sharply with photographs of myself.
man carrying corgi cabins in background
Me holding a Corgi with cabins in the background.

The picture here was taken today (Sunday, January 21, 2018) by a friend in Valley Forge Park. I was walking a sister-in-law's dog (I picked her up just for the photograph). I look so misshapen, a word I seldom use because a) It's antiquated, and b) I'm not sure how to pronounce it, which I know doesn't matter when you're writing something but you should know how to pronounce the words you write.
Soon I'll have my right leg amputated and look even weirder than I do here. (See previous entries for background on this if you wish.) 
This evening, my city's football team, the Philadelphia Eagles, will compete against the Minnesota Vikings in a playoff contest. As with every football game ever played since 1958, I will not be watching.

9 comments:

  1. This is not a freakish photo.

    I am the least photogenic person I know so I avoid being photographed...

    -r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've avoided being photographed to the point where there are very few photographs of me. That's why I'm taking a few now.

      Delete
  2. You look fine.
    I love following your blog. I have been a hospice nurse and wrote a blog too, although it has not been active for some time. Good luck on your surgery. Stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that and I like what I've seen of your blog. My niece is a hospice worker in Boston now, though she works on the counseling side of things.

      Delete
  3. I too avoid having my photo taken and can relate to your reasoning. That said - good for you on pushing yourself to have a few taken now! Good luck with your appointments this week. I know it's not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I'd advise everyone to do something I mentioned in a post in 2012 (I think): Print photos out! Optical drives on a lot of computers are an add on these days, and you can't trust the cloud 100 percent. Heck, it's called a cloud!

      Delete
  4. Part of depression is being unable to see yourself objectively. You are not freakish or strange. You are a completely ordinary looking 59 year old man - -indeed, probably on the upside of average (not fat or seriously ugly). I am sorry about your surgery, Bill. I'd still strongly recommend you get a 2nd AND THIRD opinion, as a major amputation is only worth doing if it will prolong your life, and give you a greater quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wondered about that too. Is it worth getting the leg amputated if you have such a short time to live in any case? I wish you peace and courage for whatever choice you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for that, FedUpMom. (I have a hunch it takes a lot to make you genuinely fed up.) I got a second opinion today and it was to find out more about what's going on in my lungs before amputating. Somehow, that suggestion of a delay felt like a reprieve and I felt better than I have in ages. Then I met with the primary doctor I'm seeing about it. He agreed, to a point. The final thing is that the amputation will be necessary in any case if I want any chance at survival, even though that would be at best just 30 percent.

      Delete