Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Children's Letters to the Loser #18

Dear Complete and Total Loser,
My mother says my two sisters and I have to go to church until we're confirmed. After that, we won't have to go anymore. I don't believe in God and I don't think I should have to go at all and that it should be up to me. What can I say to her?
Peter

Dear Peter,
The Loser agrees with you. No one should be taught any faith at all until they've attained the ability to question what they're being taught. This age will vary with the complexity of the topic. Children shouldn't be taught religious doctrine any more than they should quantum mechanics or string theory. Sadly, what your mother is doing is legal and even advocated by many. I suggest you bear it as well as you can. Try to see it as lessons in Western thought. Meanwhile, spend time reading scientific explanations of how the earth, the universe, and humans came into existence and what the future holds. It is fascinating reading and unlike religious thought, new material gets added every year as our knowledge and horizons expand. It's impossible to guess how far ahead humans would be now from where we are if not for the brakes religious dogma put on reason.
Your friend,
The Complete and Total Loser
An image from the Hubble.


No comments:

Post a Comment