Friday, February 1, 2019

Happy birthday, Mom

My mother is 88 years old today. Sort of. She died when she was eighty. But her ashes
exist, so what was my mother is 88 years old today. What did she do with her life? Not much, by some accounts. You've never heard of her, she never saved a boatload of people or discovered a cure for a ravaging disease.
But she did raise three kids and two of them had two kids apiece who are decent people, out in the world, not hurting others, enjoying life. That doesn't sound like much but it's more than most people do.
If she were alive I'd probably bore her by telling her about how the number 88 is a sign of good fortune in China and Japan because the writing of it is similar to the writing for the word "rice," so the number can symbolize an abundance of food.

5 comments:

  1. Sweet. My mom is 88 and living, and I'm going to tell her that about the number. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My congratulations to your mother and to you. I hope she continues to be a living presence in your life for many years to come.

      Delete
  2. My mom is 88 and alive. I'm going to tell her this story about what 88 means in China and Japan. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom's ashes will also be 88 years old in June! The interesting thing about being born in 1930, our mothers were considered depression babies. Her father, fortunately had a good job as an engineer with the highway department and was able to support his stay-at-home wife and two young daughters. I miss my mom, she died of pancreatic cancer (heavy smoker) at 72. She had six children (five still alive) and was fond of saying she must have done something right because her kids all own their own homes and none are in jail. I like your blog, just found it yesterday googling Tara Condell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good thing about our parents being from that era is that some bars were low. My parents were happy that my two brothers and I never saw the inside of a jail cell and all managed to support ourselves. I'm the failure of the family, never having married or had a job suited to my level of education (master's) but while I wasn't a source of pride, I also wasn't a source of shame. Another good thing about our parents is that, in my case anyway, they instilled a sense of frugality. My father died at age 91 in 2011 and even in his last years, when he had more money than he'd ever spend, he thought of $5 as a considerable sum. If I hadn't had my right leg amputated last February, I'd still be picking up pennies on the sidewalk.
      Thank you for liking my blog.

      Delete