Saturday, September 1, 2018

The busy day

  • Got the car inspected. It's healthy, for a twenty-year-old Camry. I drive it so infrequently that it didn't need an emissions test.
  • Went to see the doctor who performed my total shoulder replacement three months ago. Often, when you see doctors, a physicians assistant comes in and asks you questions. The one who did so today was a striking looking woman in her early thirties. When she was done, she went out of the examining room and I could hear her tell the doctor everything I'd just said. I don't want anyone to lose a job, but this seemed like a waste of time.
    frog on blue hyacinth
    A frog rests on frog on a blue hyacinth plant.
  • Went to a liquor store to see if they had those wine stoppers you use with vacuum pumps. (My sisters-in-law threw mine out when they "organized" my house while I was having my leg amputated six months ago. They also threw away many things that had sentimental value and others that I used daily and have since had to replace.) I don't drink wine in this kind of weather—nineties and so humid you want to carry a cool damp towel with you all the time—but I thought I'd check. They didn't have them. They guy told me to check online. OK.
  • Went to a sushi place near the liquor store and got a roll using a coupon I got in the mail for a substantial discount. I feel chintzy as hell using coupons. Note to guys who date: Never use a coupon when on a date. Never. Even if she professes that such things are good.
  • Went to a pizza place and got a tomato and cucumber salad. 
  • Went to a hardware store and got a short broom. The kind that the label says is used to sweep lobbies with. 
  • Went to an ice cream place to buy ice cream. A woman in line ahead of me ordered a pint and then changed it to a quart. I already knew I wanted a quart and ordered as much. Banana. The woman ahead of me was short and rich. I could tell she was short because she was short. I could tell she was rich because she was driving a Range Rover. She was very well groomed and had beautiful skin. 
  • Fed the fish in the backyard koi pond. Looked for the frog that showed up two weeks ago but couldn't find him. It's possible he was nearby and even in sight, but he's an expert at being still, which is half of not being seen.

5 comments:

  1. Just caught up on your blog. I do so every so often since I somehow got onto it (from a New York Times article, or reader's comment, I believe). It's so good! All best wishes to you, Sally in NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sally. This may sound silly to you, but the idea of anyone who lives in NYC spending time looking at anything I've done is quite flattering.

      Delete
  2. Haven't checked in for a couple of months and am glad to see you are still here! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete