Friday, August 20, 2021

On the driveway

 


The most interesting letters I've ever read are ones I've found. Unlike hearing half of a phone conversation ("When? ... Oh ... Uh-huh ... Nah, I'm gonna stay over there till Tuesday") they have enough context that you get them ("After Montana, we drove up to Canada and went to that town that had a museum of coaches, which sounds like it'd be boring but it's not"). 

Between the two is cards and I found one after recycling day in my neighborhood. There was no envelope and I know my immediate neighbors and wasn't from any of them.

The outside is in the photo above. Inside, the printed copy is:

May each tear that falls be a gentle reminder that you and your loved one meant so much to each other, and that no loss or sorrow, time or distance can ever take that away.

With Deepest Sympathy

 Under this, hand written:

So sorry for your loss. Our thoughts & prayers are with you and your family.

Jerry and Pat T.

I guess when I die there will be a few similar cliché ridden (in both forms of copy) cards and letters sent to my brothers, who will be my only undiluted survivors. I hope they'll at least write out the word "and" instead of using an ampersand, like I do when I'm writing grocery lists. Not that I'll know or care about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment