Sunday, February 17, 2019

Idiots about Esquire

March 2019 Esquire Magazine cover
The March 2019 Esquire Magazine cover.
Nothing makes me lose respect for people faster than seeing them make sweeping pronouncements about something based on a cursory scan of it, and that's what people I used to admire are doing about the edition of Esquire Magazine that's on the stands as I write this.
Hilariously, many are furious that Esquire would release this issue, which features a white boy on its cover, during Black History Month. If they knew even a little about magazine journalism or had ever paid attention to magazine publication dates, they'd know that magazines publish editions with dates well in advance of when they actually hit the stands in order to give them a longer shelf life. This issue is, in fact, the March issue of Esquire.
I went to my local library today and read the article the cover refers to. Clearly, most making opinions about it have not done this. The kid's not a bad kid. Yeah, he likes Trump, but many do and this boy is seventeen. If you held me to every belief I had at that age you'd think I'm more of a complete and total loser than I am, which I know that by definition should be impossible.
Also, the editor's letter talks about the article and also says that it's the first in a series that will include a diversity of people in the future. 
(Note to many: The title is An American Boy, not The American Boy. Articles matter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment