Sunday, March 4, 2018

Home again

For those of you who may be curious, and I'd be one of you, the removal of my right leg six days ago resulted in a weight loss of a little over twenty pounds. That's not what it would be for most men my height and (previous) weight of 5' 9", 180, because the leg was seven inches shorter than the left, the difference being in the femur, and the calf muscles were fit but not nearly as developed as those of the left leg.
A night view from a hospital corridor.

 A furious nor'easter tore through the region and made it impossible for either of my brothers to pick me up the day of my release from the hospital, so I spent an extra day and night there using it as a sort of hotel, but one where they come by and give you medicine and take your vital signs now and then. Late at night, I put on my regular clothes and crutched through some of the halls to get out of the room and get some exercise. Nurses and others glanced up at me from their work stations, but none took action. I could see by their faces they were thinking, "Not my problem, this guy," which was fine with me.
Now I'm back in the house. Kind sisters-in-law did much cleaning and reorganizing. Most of it is for the good, but some little things I was sentimental about got tossed. A favorite juice glass, a liquor my late mother liked that I'd have a few sips of once or twice a year. But I am grateful, overall.
It takes longer to heal when you get old. Nylon stitches irritate. Making breakfast and taking a shower—sitting down—are productions. All this I've been through before, so I know it will improve in time and become normal. But still.
Mustn't whine, though. Got to soldier on.


 

10 comments:

  1. God bless you, Bill. You are indeed soldiering on like a champ.Hope you heal fast with minimal discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James. How nice it would be if my loss were of some kind of service to others. You know, like if it had happened while protecting people who needed protection. Well, you can't have everything, I guess.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you are back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's hard for me to sit, so most of my entries will be short ones!

      Delete
  3. It seems odd to tell a stranger you're proud of them and admire their ability to continue on, but nevertheless, I am. Continued best wishes for a good recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It matters when anyone cares, stranger or not.

      Delete
  4. God bless you. I am sending well wishes for your full recovery your way. (my sister passed away from a rare sarcoma nearly 20 years ago). She fought a courageous battle, but lost unfortunately. Damned cancer sucks so bad. Hopefully there are some newer, much better treatments available in 2018 then there were in the late 1990s. I hope that your family is helping you as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belated thanks for your kind thoughts and my sympathy for your sister's death. I know it's been a long time, but some things you never get over. You're right about cancer, of course, and at the progress of treatment for it. It does seem that many brilliant minds go into research for its cures, so we should all remain hopeful.

      Delete
  5. D***... I have been reading some of your posts tonight and I feel a lot like you. I have a "bad ankle" with no known history of injury which has required multiple surgeries to just mske walking bearable. I have in the past two years ruptured the distal biceps in both arms. This is a huge crisis since my entire career and sense of self worth up until now has been in my physicality. When I was dealing with one reattached tendon, I could at least forget it and rely on my dominant arm. Now I have two arms with reattached tendons and I'm just turning 35. I also have great difficulty forming relationships with women or understanding friendship in general. I may be gay, bi, autistic or all of the above. It's a challenging struggle to carry on, but I am healing and increasing my physical fitness regimen and the future looks ok-to-bright. I feel society will accept me for whomever I eventually fall in love with (or don't) and that modern acceptability gives me comfort. Good luck in your struggle. You don't seem especially depressed despite all this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and I'm glad to hear that you're healing. It takes longer than you want it to, but it'll happen.
      A very general rule about relationships is that if you haven't had a successful one by the time you're forty, you may not be cut out for them. Like I said, a very general rule. It can help to read a book or two on how to talk to people. Much of the advice in them is sleazy, but at times you can learn something from them.

      Delete