Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Today's walk

I walked about two miles today, which is more than usual, but considering that I'll have my right leg amputated in just thirteen days I might as well put it to use while it's still there.
My destination was the house I spent my first ten years in. Does anyone forget that? Maybe, if the years were unhappy and chaotic, but that wasn't the case with me. The woman who now owns it was friendly with my parents and had offered to let me visit ages ago. I figured now is the time.
She is one of the very few people these days who has the money it would take to make big changes in a house but hasn't done so. I think many who make such changes do so out of boredom and to show off their wealth. Not all, but many. 
There were details I remembered well from my childhood and they are still there. Ledges on the stairways, the banisters, the tile in the upstairs bathroom, the back porch, the flag stones leading to the front door, the front door itself. All unchanged and they didn't, as you so often hear people say, seem small to me. She and her husband have kids, three sons, in fact, as my parents did, and while just one of them still lives at home, one is still in college and the other hasn't completely moved out so the house still has their stuff in it and shows their energy in their marks. 
I felt funny about asking to see the old place for the first time in nearly fifty years, but I'm glad I did. I'm also glad I walked there instead of drove.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to visit your childhood home. It looks like a classic, like a home that might have been featured in one of the 1950's/1960's TV shows.

    Totally separately, if you can't get an artificial leg fitted (I posted a comment recently that included a link to a site about people with above the knee amputations getting an artificial leg.), maybe you can get a scooter instead of a wheelchair. You said you would be too self-conscious to use a wheelchair, but so many people use scooters these days that it wouldn't be all that noticeable.

    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that thought and the previous link, which is something I'll look into. I'm hoping to use crutches for as long as possible, which may not be that long!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you went to see your house. (I'm a firm believer that any house in which you were happy remains forever your house, even if others live there!) I too moved on from a house at age 10. I'll have to go see it sometime soon, I think!

    ReplyDelete