Saturday, February 17, 2018

The overlap

As the day of the amputation of my right leg draws nearer—just nine days from today—I'm finding that my usual shopping and errands are getting more and more orientated toward my convalescence. I'm buying food in jars and cans or things that can be frozen, like butter. I've replaced all the overhead light bulbs with LEDs, not because of their efficiency (though I love that), but because they last for many years and mounting a chair to change a light bulb when you have one leg is difficult at best, unsafe at worst.
I don't want to tell you how much booze I've purchased. I am not a big drinker, but there's something about the image of a man with one leg, alone, crutching into a liquor store to buy a bottle of wine or something harder that seems so sad that I hope to put that day off for awhile. So I've stocked up.
Meanwhile, the incredible fact that having a leg cut off is being done voluntarily never ceases to stun me. It's not like I've been sentenced in a court of law to have twenty percent or so of my body executed. I could, even in the hospital on the morning of the scheduled operation (February 26th, 2018), simply say, "Forget it," and walk out. 
Then I could buy an airline ticket and head to the opposite coast, which in my case would be California or the Pacific Northwest. 
When I take my walks at dusk I see the contrails of jetliners headed that way. I could be on one of those planes.
If I did so, my chances of dying due to the spread of my condition would go from only twenty-five percent to one hundred percent. With odds like that, it's a little tempting.
jetlinver contrails
Three jetliners head from Philadelphia to points west on a late winter afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. Can you brainstorm other things that you may need and find a way to be prepared? Is there an organization that you could research now that could help with the transition period? With emotional/physical help? I read your posts and am so sad for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern and kind words. I've done some of what you've suggested but I, probably stupidly, have usually been the go-it-alone type. Also, when I research the life of amputees it gets depressing as can be and I stop. I'll probably change my attitude as needed. I hope.

      Delete
  2. Not the same at all, but I elected to get my lymph nodes removed and get lymphedema rather than have the possibility that cancer might spread, only to find zero cancer in the nodes. It was one of those "Hurray!... oh for fuck's sake" moments. I get what a bugger it is to be the one actual choosing to make this happen. Bletch. (On Regret)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean and it is a little bit the same. With the wondrous things medical science is doing now, I'm often surprised by the amount that isn't yet known. I know there are talented people working on it and that in fifty years people will look at problems like yours and mine and regard them the way we do smallpox. But still, a part of me wants to shout "Hurry up!" at them, not just for my sake, though to be honest, that would be nice if medicine were all about me.

      Delete