Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Children's Letters to the Loser #26

Dear Complete and Total Loser,
Often, when my friends come over my dad hangs out with us. I like my dad. My friends do too and we like having him around, but sometimes I want to spend more time with just my friends. What can I say to him?
Ethan

Dear Ethan,
It's hard for old people to accept that they are old and sometimes they don't even know they are old. That may be hard for you to believe because they have jobs, cars and ugly skin but it's true. You have to make clear to your father what you did to me and do it with great diplomacy, a skill that may keep you from being a loser. As in your letter, put the positive first ("Dad, my friends and I like having you around") and cushion the negative and put it last ("but sometimes we like hanging out with no adults around"). He'll carp about this at first ("Well, it's time for your old dad to get his cane and head for bed") but he'll probably comply.
My best,
The Complete and Total Loser

It's often difficult for parents to let go of their young.

No comments:

Post a Comment