Monday, November 22, 2021

Shore enough


 I went to Cape May, New Jersey, for three days last week, which was in mid-November. I've always been an off season type and I'm even more of one now. 

I had no idea what crutching on sand would be like, even after using crutches for over three years on a variety of surfaces. Would they just sink in and make going anyplace impossible? They did sink in, but never more than three inches or so whether on dry sand, wet sand, or in-between sand. I could ambulate fast enough to not feel ridiculous but not fast enough that I'd invite someone to go for a walk with me unless they were very patient. Using crutches on dry sand is great exercise. Low impact and if you fall, you'll be fine. 

 The people I met in Cape May were friendly, but I didn't meet many of them and during the summer season those who work in stores and the like may become as surly as those anywhere else, though I'd think being near the sea might put people in a good mood for more hours a day than if they lived elsewhere. Fresh air and sunshine, even in November. 

One of the three days I spent was much warmer than average. This photo shows that a woman (or a man with small feet) had run barefoot on the beach. The usual person I saw was either a dog walker or someone fishing. 


The last time I took an overnight vacation was in November of 2000, when I spent ten days on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The only other times I haven't slept in my own bed have been housesitting gigs, which I no longer do, hospital stays, which I do too often now, and one funeral in 2002 that was overseas. The only other traveling I've done since 2000 has been day trips from Philadelphia to New York City via a cheap bus.

4 comments:

  1. It looks really nice there and very few people, which is good any time, especially now.

    Glad you were able to get away and that the weather cooperated.

    It sounds like you are doing well. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, it's especially good these days to have lots of space, even though I doubt that you really need to practice social distancing on a beach.
      I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving too!

      Delete
  2. I think this is the first time we've seen a picture of you?!
    I enjoyed the post, as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The only me in these pics is of my remaining foot and leg. The others are of strangers, though I got to know the gull a bit. He said he likes raw fish.

      Delete