Thursday, October 22, 2020

Guess who?

 I've been voting consistently since I turned eighteen in 1976. Over the years I've registered as a Democrat, a Republican, and an Independent. I've never defined myself by party and these days too many do, which is one reason we're seeing so much anger these days. People see a loss by their party as a rejection of self. Silly, considering that most of us go through most of our days without thinking of our political alignment, especially when an election isn't scheduled soon.

One thing I've noticed over the decades is that one party is more willing to engage in deception more often than the other. Yes, yes: They both do it. I'm saying that one party does it more often. No whataboutism, please.

Example: The envelope below, which I got in the mail two weeks ago. It tries to make it look like I'm some kind of important big shot who's opinion is vital to them. Inside is a survey with laughably loaded questions, the kind seen in advertising years ago when people were less sophisticated: "Do you like delicious food that's good for you, easy to prepare, and inexpensive?" Of course, no one's going to read the results. Its purpose is to raise funds.

Guessing time: Which party do you think sent it? 

If you have a strong hunch which one it is, what does that say about that party?





No comments:

Post a Comment