Sunday, March 24, 2019

I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning

When you're sixty and you've had as many health problems as I've had the past few years, sudden changes make you think "Uh-oh, here comes something bad." 
That's the case with me at the moment. I woke up four days ago and when I sat up I felt dizzy. Not a big deal. It passed in a ten seconds and while I didn't forget it, I didn't think about it much. 
cat drinking from toilet with paw
My cat drinking froma  toilet with his paw.
Now it's gotten worse since and happens now when I lie down. It feels as though I am as intoxicated as I can get, a condition I've been in just four or five times in my life. Falling down drunk is never fun. 
Brain tumor? Aneurysm? Inner ear problem? A rare virus? Tomorrow: Doctor's appointment.
Meanwhile, this is a picture of my cat using his paw to drink out of a toilet. He complains mightily if I don't let him, even though I always have a bowl of fresh, filtered water for him, which I change twice a day.

6 comments:

  1. I get that once in awhile and it is scary. I have the sames fears as you as soon-to-be 62. Hopefully, its something benign. Maybe a middle ear issue? Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the company of your kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a dull but reputable lecture by an M.D. about dizziness on YouTube. What I have is closer to positional vertigo, though I'm not sure what the difference is between vertigo and dizziness. The doctor said dizziness is when you feel like you're spinning, vertigo is when it feels the room is spinning, but even that doesn't make it clear to me. It could be a lot of things. What it isn't, though, is a stroke, as those come on fast, hence the word "stroke" to describe them. Your guess of inner ear issues seems like the best one. The cat is doing well, thank you, despite his litter box problems.

      Delete
  2. Yep, vertigo. It's awful, unexpected and very annoying. There's actually exercises you can do to get rid of it faster. It's very common and you WILL feel better. If you can get your hands on some meclizine, try that. It will make you very drowsy. And cats seem to like toilet water so if you don't want him to do that, just close the lid. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the advice and supportive words. I'm going to close the lid tomorrow and measure how much he drinks during a day. I'm worried that he might be diabetic.

      Delete
    2. Are you feeling better? I hope so!

      Delete
    3. I'm feeling much better, thank you. It seems to be resolving itself on its own. My doctor gave me some cruise drug, which is helping, too.

      Delete