Sunday, February 3, 2019

My perfect Super Bowl record

It's Super Bowl Sunday and I won't be watching it. In fact, as I've said here before, I have never watched a football game live or on television. 
eagles fans riot philadelphia 2018
Eagles fans rioting, Philadelphia, 2018.

 Part of my reason for this is growing up with a malformed leg; I knew I would never play the game in any real way. When I got older, I got cynical about big money sports. 

In the early 1980s, when I was in my early twenties, I decided it was time to begin watching football games because it seemed like an important aspect of male bonding. Right before I was going to, however, I read that referees call time outs so the network could air commercials. That sort of thing doesn't raise an eyebrow now but it did mine at the time. And more recently, of course, football has been shown to cause lifelong brain trauma.
philadelphia from art museum
A part of Philadelphia seen from the steps of the Art Museum.
I'm amazed at how passionate fans get about their city's teams. If any of the players are from that city, it's only by chance, and their loyalty to the city is broken as soon as any other team offers them more money. It would be as if I automatically loved any movie that happened to be shot in Philadelphia because that's where I'm from.

No comments:

Post a Comment