Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Overkill

While getting my right leg amputated and spending five days in a hospital afterward earlier this month, my two sisters-in-law cleaned and organized my living space. A lovely idea fueled by good intentions, but what they did says much about how I'm regarded in my family. 
A few of their actions:
  • They threw things out that I used daily. A favorite juice glass, for example. That I used these things was obvious by where they were; the dish rack next to the kitchen sink. They replaced the dish rack with a new one that's oriented a different way and makes cleaning up after meals a little more difficult. 
  • They didn't read the email I'd sent them and my two brothers about clothes I'd left for them to go through and decide whether or not to donate (I'd said, simply, the clothes "on the sofa") and got rid of all the clothes in the room, which included my winter coat (just a few years old, a gift from friends), two other coats, and two neckties that were special to me. 
  • They took up non-slip rugs I'd had in the bathroom and tucked them far away in a closet. Do you know what a tile floor feels like to a bare foot in a chilly house? Like a block of ice.
  • They got rid of many kitchen utensils I use and put out ones I never have and never will on counters in containers they look nice in.
They did all this without asking me, as though I'd be incapable of making a rational decision about it. I admit that there were spaces that needed clearing off and, having lived alone my entire life, that I'm not as good at doing that as I'd like to be. But I'm far from a hoarder. The trash and recycling go out every week, and I'd delivered many bags of clothes and books to my local Goodwill branch and my library's used book store in the weeks leading up to my operation. They made the house look like they thought it should look. 
The question is, how would they feel if someone had done that with their living spaces? Probably demeaned, at least a little, I'd guess.
fallen stop sign
A fallen stop sign.

Ask any adult who never married or had children how he or she is regarded by others in the family and the answer will be that they're not thought of as fully adult no matter how mature they may be.
But hey—this isn't something I plan to make a stink about. My disease will likely kill me in a year or two anyway and they'll be stuck with clearing out the house, so what they did so far can be seen as simply getting a head start on that, right?

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry this happened. As a divorced, no-children member of my family I can attest to being made to feel "less than." While I understand your reluctance to bring up the issue, at this point why NOT bring it up? If they truly wish to help you as time goes on and your disease potentially progresses, they need to learn to LISTEN to your wishes. Sending you what little support I can. I wish it were more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice and you're right. I'll wait until the next time I'll be out of the house for surgery to bring it up.

      Delete
    2. Gracious. I'll not leave any encouragement again. Having watched my ill parents railroaded by my sister, I have some perspective on listening to the person needing assistance. But you go on as you wish.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure I understand your response. Are you the same "Anonymous" who responded above? If so, my reply was that I thanked you for your advice, I agreed with it and said I'd apply it the next time I'll be away (which will be a month or so from now). Sorry if I wasn't clear about this somehow.

      Delete
  2. Re "less than" - yes! What is up with that!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that version of helping that's so clearly self-centred rather than altruistic. Some people get away with obnoxious power-play under the guise of helping. I agree with anon that, what have you got to lose by letting them know they help isn't as helpful as they (best case scenario) intended it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree with Anon, too, though I seem to have expressed it badly. I'd meant to say that rather than have a family blow out now, I'd rather wait until my next problem arises that will make me be out of the house for awhile and point it out then.

      Delete